Friday, June 23, 2006

“I” is nothing

I rode from Vijayawada to Chennai for a last time. I was riding like I was possessed by the winds. I made 480 kms in 6 hrs flat!

Due to the heavy cross winds, I could not do more than 110 kmph. The average speed was around 100 kmph. I have never done it this quick. A Volvo does it in 7 hrs, the fastest train in 6.5 hrs. And a Royal Enfield in 6 hrs!

It was going easy, apart from the odd pedestrian who wants to die only in your hands, and the one off buffalo that wants to chew cud in the middle of a tarmac road that is burning hot.

It was a strange sense of achievement for me. What I was feeling cannot be explained in clear terms now. The fact that I could fly was one feeling I can remember always when I ride, an open road, a powerful horse, early mornings, star filled skies, the wind’s roar, frequent villages, rustic eat outs and the odd smoke and the frequent song that the mind hums within itself.

I am my God in those times. I control a machine ruthlessly. I defy fate that could be different if I had taken a train. I create risks for myself and then I beat them to safety. I create a respite for myself, a comfort zone, where I am unreachable to anyone, not liable to answering. I have Escaped, from the ordinary, from the mundane, from man. I am nothing then. “I” is nothing. But that is bliss!

2 Comments:

Blogger Anand S said...

You are living my dream! Enjoy.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Shiju Vethamuthu Nesamony said...

Vinod, probably you'd be happy to hear that you got someone like me at BIM. I got a Royal Enfield (1984) with few changes to add to my taste. My last trip was from BIM to Pondicherry and back... 10p.m. to 8a.m. (10hrs.)
There are loads of guys interested in riding at BIM. We'd be happy to meet you sometime soon. We could probably plan something when you come down for sangam.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home